3.08.2011

Fat Tuesday

Beignets. Courtesy of The Cajun/Creole Cookbook. 

Margaritas and enchiladas on Cinco de Mayo. Irish car bombs and corned beef on St. Patrick’s Day. Beignets and beads on Fat Tuesday. Obviously. Now, I could easily get away with putting fat in front of any day of the week. Take yesterday for example, Fat Monday entailed finishing the last of the Thin Mints - that were oh so much better after freezing them, while sitting through two hours of catfights in cocktail dresses on The Bachelor, loving every second of it. But today is something special. I can actually get away with it today, because different from last Tuesday, everyone will be celebrating Fat Tuesday. And who doesn’t love a good reason to celebrate? Isn’t that why Sunday Funday was created? Although I didn’t celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but rather a festival in Long Beach complete with masks, beads and beer galore, I have eaten my way through the French Quarter. Dinner at Commander’s Palace, alligator cheesecake at Jaques Imo’s and beignet’s at Café du Monde. Stuffing my face with these fried pillows of heaven on Saturday, I forgot everything I had learned in New Orleans. I was reminded the second we erupted in laughter.  Avalanche of powdered sugar. All over our dark jeans. And black t-shirts. Regardless, I couldn’t have been happier. Be it at Café du Monde, or a fairground parking lot in Long Beach - surrounded by friends, a mouth full of fried food, covered in powdered sugar, wearing the most ridiculous masks - I highly recommend it. Except maybe next time I'd suggest wearing white.
So for you, I share this recipe, in hopes that all of your Tuesdays are fat. I know mine will be. 

Beignets, courtesy of Paula Deen

Ingredients:
       1 envelope active dry yeast
       1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
       1/2 cup granulated sugar
       1 teaspoon salt
       2 eggs, beaten
       1 cup evaporated milk
       7 cups all-purpose flour
       1/4 cup shortening, softened
       oil for deep frying
       powdered sugar

Preparation:
In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee.
Dough can cut and frozen, separated in container with waxed paper.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen.

Perhaps, why we were laughing. Go ahead, it won't hurt my feelings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment