3.15.2011

Bon Appétit


If you enjoy carbohydrates, you need this.
It will be your bible. 

While I may be new to kitchen appliances like ovens, stoves and food processors – seriously, why do they make the top so hard to screw on? And why can’t I conquer the childproof lock on the side? I can’t possibly be the only one facing this issue - I am no stranger to blenders, pitchers and beverages of all kinds, umbrellas or otherwise. Joining friends for dinner, my participation this time around came in the form of vino, or wine for those of you who don’t speak Italian. As that was the theme for this gathering, I felt it was only appropriate to speak the language of love. Or is that French? In any case, I would never say no to pasta, cheese, tiramisu or vino, regardless of language barriers.

To prepare my portion of the evening, I headed straight for Trader Joe’s. I recently heard that people conscious of their diets shop the perimeter of the grocery store, avoiding the processed foods in the middle. This worked out perfectly for me, as wine consumes two entire walls at this Trader Joe’s. Also perfect, because I walked through the doors at 5:30 pm. Usually grocery shopping at this time will put me in the most foul of moods. Always packed, dodging carts pushed by the elderly and trying not to step on crying children throwing tantrums on the floor in front of the limited ice cream selection will usually do that to you.  This TJ’s however, has found the perfect solution to this problem, keeping customers like me happy. This simple solution, my friends, is called Happy Hour. The Trader Joe’s in Newport Beach knows what’s up, inviting me to the wine tasting bar to experience, you guessed it – flavors of Italy. Helping me select two perfect bottles, that I obviously don't remember the names of, both reds - one more robust to be paired with dinner, and a lovely lighter option to enjoy while cooking. Having already grabbed a bottle of moscato for dessert, all of the bases were covered. 

While I wish I could, I can’t share with you the most delicious recipe for the dozens of canolis I devoured. Partially because it is a friend’s top secret family recipe, and partially because I don’t know it. I do, however, know the recipe for the incredible fettucine carbonara with fried eggs I inhaled without looking up from my plate, participating in conversation, or breathing. With a picky eater on our hands, we switched out the broccoli rabe with asparagus, equally as delicious.

Fettuccine Carbonara with Fried Eggs, courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine 
Bon Appétit is right

8 large eggs
2/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 grated pecorino Romano cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped
12 ounces egg fettuccine
1 medium bunch broccoli rabe cut into ½ inch pieces

Whisk 4 eggs, cheeses, garlic, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl; set aside. Cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to small bowl. Reserve drippings in skillet.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until almost tender (about 3 minutes less than package directions); add broccoli rabe. Cook just until broccoli rabe is crisp-tender and pasta is tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain pasta-broccoli rabe mixture, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Return hot pasta-broccoli rabe mixture to pot (off heat). Immediately add egg-cheese mixture, pancetta, and ¼ cup pasta cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten as needed. Season to taste with salt and more pepper. Cover to keep warm. Heat skillet with drippings over medium heat. Crack remaining 4 eggs into skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until whites are opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn eggs over; cook just until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 1 minute longer. Remove skillet from heat.

Top pasta with fried egg and serve.  Serves 4, with leftovers. 

Casa Rubino, off the Amalfi Coast
Can someone please take me here? The next time I attend an Italian themed dinner party, drink Italian wine, or any wine for that matter, I'd like for it to take place here, at Casa Rubino on the cliffs of the Amalfi Coast. This charming villa sleeps eight, complete with a full staff and a personal waiter. I swear, I'd be the best travel companion. I can be ready in a moments notice. And I'd love you forever. 

2 comments:

  1. oh miss wyman... you most certainly got me laughing with this post. maybe one of these days ill teach you how to use the bbq... its a pretty scary endeavor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fettuccine carbonara with fried eggs? True Italian dishes can be SO odd; I've also seen a fried egg placed on top of an Italian pizza before! Who knew? What gives? What's the origin of THIS combo?

    You don't see pastas or pizzas topped with fried eggs at The Olive Garden™ or Domino's Pizza™.

    Thanks for giving us a peek at more traditional Italian cooking.

    And if I'm ever shopping with you at Trader Joe's™ and I suddenly can't find you, I think I'll have a pretty good idea where to look now.

    "Bon Appetitty"...or however you say it.

    ReplyDelete