3.02.2011

Cream puffs and prosciutto.


My new go-to, for any and all functions which would require me to bring anything. And maybe even those that don't. 
Not together. Obviously. Because that would be disgusting. One after another, with a delicious dinner in between? Now we’re talking. This week, I had the pleasure of joining friends old and new for a lovely dinner party at a gorgeous home over looking the glassy waters of Long Beach. Because that’s what you do when you’re old and mature. You go to dinner parties. I feel I’ve been preparing myself for this stage of life since the day I learned cupcake shaped dresses in pastels were appropriate tea party attire, while sequins were more suitable for cocktails - which I can assure you was very young. And far too early to consume cocktails. Always fabulous at attending, I’ve never been one to find myself in a kitchen. This, for me, is like learning a foreign language, one full of words like sifting and double boilers, saffron and celery root. Thank goodness for Martha Stewart, who I personally enjoy much more after her jail sentence. Her cupcakes and tablescapes have such an edge now, wouldn’t you agree? Maybe it’s just me. In any case, my participation came in the form of appetizers. With Martha’s assistance, I planned two mouth-watering snacks. Basil and Prosciutto Crostini’s and Baked Brie. Navigating the aisles of Whole Foods like a professional, and sampling cheeses like it was my job, I was fairly confident I could very well pull this off. Cutting the golden La Brea Bakery baguette on the diagonal, without losing a finger. Toasting the tasty pieces without setting a small kitchen fire. Layering the crisp basil and topping with salty prosciutto, without missing a beat. So impressed with myself – simple, I know, I’m not very hard to please - I completely forgot about the baked brie, which Heidi – if you’re reading this – is sitting tight in your refrigerator. Perhaps next time. Basking in my near kitchen perfection was short lived as things continued to get better and better with chimichurri chicken and a crunchy chopped salad. However, the piece de resistance was the most divine, creamy and puffy cream puffs to ever grace my lips. So amazing, I’d like to share them with you. You’re welcome. 
Thank you Heidi, for making them, Tootie, for sharing your recipe, and Cristal for having me.
These are Martha's.
Filled with ice cream.
To. Die. For.



Cream Puffs

Shells
1 cup water
½ cup butter
1 cup sifted, all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
4 eggs
                                                                       
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a saucepan over high heat, heat water and butter until it melts and boils.  Turn heat to low and add flour and salt; stir vigorously over heat until dough leaves the sides of the pan in a smooth ball.

Quickly transfer dough to a large bowl; with mixer beat in eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until dough is smooth and satiny.

On a greased, lightly floured cookie sheet, drop 1 heaping tablespoon of dough.  This will make about 10-12 shells, and can be made bigger or smaller. I say, the bigger the better.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden and firm.   With shells still in the oven, turn off, and allowing to rest 15 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack.

With a sharp knife, cut shells in half and remove a little of the dough inside to make room for filling.

Filling
2 5.1 oz. packages instant vanilla pudding
2 ½ cups milk
2 cups whipping cream (whipped) or substitute with Cool Whip
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Make pudding as directed on package using the amount of milk indicated in this recipe.  Gradually fold in whipping cream and vanilla.

Fill shells, set top shell in place and refrigerate.

Chocolate Glaze
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 tbs. butter
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
Dash of salt
4 tbs. hot milk

Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave safe dish for approx 1 minute, and stir until melted.  Add powdered sugar and salt.  Gradually blend in 4 tablespoons of hot milk.  Pour over filled shells.  Refrigerate.

Puffs taste best at room temperature, if you can wait that long.
Enjoy. 

2 comments: