3.24.2011

I love birthdays.

Could you just die for this party? As featured in Rue Magazine. This could be me and my pals. 

My birthday. Your birthday. I love all birthdays really. I mean, who doesn’t love a good reason to gather friends, celebrate, and eat cake? Not me, or anyone I’d want to party with for that matter. The aging part, I’m not so crazy about. I’ve been a lover of birthdays for as long as I can remember, however turning twenty four in less than a month, I’m feeling a bit of birthday anxiety. Even typing the word twenty four sucks.

I knew this day would come eventually. Those older and wiser tried to warn me. Nothing cool happens when you turn 24. No milestones. No new privileges. Nothing. When you turn 16, you drive. Or 16 and a quarter, if like me, it takes you a few tries. At 18 you can vote. And buy cigarettes. And lotto tickets. Turning 21 is the best – especially when you have parents like mine who send Patron, a saltshaker and a bag of limes in a package labeled to be opened at midnight. But it’s all down hill from there. 22 might as well be 25. Soon enough you’re 30 and 30 might as well be 40. Can you understand my anxiety? I thought I had combated the birthday blues with awesome twenty second and third birthdays, but something about twenty four is different. Twenty four is just one short year away from twenty five – a quarter of a century.  But I’m getting ahead of myself. And I think I just aged 17 million years in the process. Twenty four can be fun, right? I haven’t tried it myself, but I really loved twenty two and twenty three. Maybe I’m like a fine wine – and get better with age? Just saying that makes me feel old. And embarrassed I even used that expression. My bad.

To get back in the spirit, I’ve initiated the birthday preparations. It seems to be working quite nicely. Not only have I started a rather extensive wish list, but I’ve begun the planning for what ought to be a rather fabulous occasion. A spring time birthday lends itself nicely to tea parties, brunches and soft pastel color pallets, so I’ll start there.


Starting in the top left corner and circling around. 1. How darling is this cake? I’m so obsessed with the simplicity. It’s called cake bunting. Obviously my name isn’t betty, but I could easily change that. And you can purchase the adorable banner on etsy. I think i just might. But with my own name. 2. I normally associate delicate tea parties with mornings or early afternoons, however I am so over the moon about this soft, outdoor, evening setting. And that says a lot, because I'm not the biggest fan of the wilderness. 3. This very well could just be everything I ever dreamed a lovely spring tea party could be. Thank you, Birthday Girl. The table linens are so shaby chic. The individual pink lemonades are so sweet. Stunning, right? Such perfection. 4. I love the idea of a dessert table – because, well, I love desserts. Something about it is just so enticing. There's bound to be something for everyone. I like the idea of people being able to take treats home with them. And the flowers add such a natural decor. So effortless. 

Ok, I'm excited. These ideas sound a heck of a lot better than sleeping all day, pretending it didn’t happen, and carrying on as a twenty three year old. And I kind of want to have a party.  
So twenty four it is then. I’ll see you soon. Ugh.

5 comments:

  1. It's so Marie Antoinette :)
    P.s. - next year, you get to rent a car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam I feel your pain! ill be 24 on the 10th and like i have already told everyone else, im dreading it. i have never dreaded a birthday before, but this one is killing me. 24 seems so old and im NOT ready for it to come :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, twenty four was one of my very best years. I've had many memorable years, but 24 is near the very top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I’m impressed with your ability to be subtle about certain matters on your blog; namely those things you would like to receive as gifts from your readers. And nothing makes anyone over 24 reading your blog want to give you more presents than those of us who are actually over 24 years old.

    This entry makes everyone over thirty feel truly young and vibrant; so much life yet to be lived. Your birthday is arriving soon and instead of bunting your cake, I’m going to kick your bunt and send you a jar of face cream from ‘Oil Of Olay’!!! http://www.olay.com/

    I kid. I’m blogging you a very happy birthday.

    PS: Keep your eyes out for the mailman.

    PPS: Some of those you who care about you most have never privately received your postal mailing address via e-mail. Just letting your little bunt know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PPPS: Kelsey's comment has so much more to offer than mine having only to use a certain infamous woman's name. A "tip o' the hat" to you Kelsey. Perfect. :D Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete