2.08.2012

Cake Pops

My senior year of high school, while I waited in line for an iced caramel macchiato at Starbucks before second period leadership, something very profound happened. Something that changed my life forever. You’re all probably on the edge of your seat thinking, eww why were you ordering a caramel macchiato? But I was young. It was here in line that I met a little girl, who’s name I don’t remember because I didn’t really care at the time, who told me that she was getting a hot chocolate this morning because it was her golden birthday. Confused, I asked what that implied and she told me she was turning eight on the eighth. Mind. Blown.

Luckily, I met this little nameless girl prior to celebrating my own golden birthday. I turned twenty on April 20th <insert hilarious 420 joke here, because obviously I haven’t heard them and they’re so funny>. So, my sophomore year of college, I had a Gold Party. And it was marvelous. It was golden, if you will. Contemplating finding the old facebook invite and digging up some incriminating photos, because it was that good, but for everyone’s sake I’ll pass.

My friend Sedona’s golden birthday was epic in itself. She turned 25, a quarter of a century, on December 25th, Christmas. So needless to say, she went all out. Waiting until after the holidays, we celebrated in January. Reserving Ma’Kai in Santa Monica, the place was packed with only her closest friends and family and filled to the brim with balloons, paper lanterns, hanging stars and confetti, all in the theme of black and gold. Obviously.

In preparation of the party, my friend Jaclyn and I made cake pops – inspired by this post on Cupcakes and Cashmere. The edible gold stars sold us. So incredibly perfect for the theme. We followed this recipe, and you guys, it was so easy. Literally, you bake a cake, as per the directions on the box. Yes, a boxed cake. Combine the cake with a tub of frosting, I put it all in a Kitchen Aid mixer. Roll in to balls. Dip in to melted chocolate. Decorate. We preferred a more cake to frosting ratio, and since we were baking in bulk, 100 pops to be exact, we used 4 boxes worth of cake and 3 tubs of frosting. We used Funfetti, duh, but you can use any mix of your choosing. You could probably even make a cake from scratch if you wanted to get crazy. But that’s all you. They were so delicious. The perfect bite of cake in one mouthful. But more importantly, they looked fantastic. And the party went off without a hitch. Maybe the most fun I’ve had at a birthday that wasn’t my own.
Happy Golden Birthday, Sedona!
PS. That last photo was before the party even started...


No comments:

Post a Comment