2.24.2011

Dear patrons of Coffee Bean, I'm watching you


How darling is this gingham coffee mug from Crate and Barrel? Available in blue, green, yellow and turquoise, I'll take two of each please. 


Writing this blog makes me feel a little bit like a hipster. Like I should be wearing something over priced, yet beat up and destroyed looking, from Urban Outfitters. I lounge in coffee shops all day with dirty hair and black, square framed glasses that I don’t actually need, but make me look cool. Okay, so I lied about the last part, but I do live at coffee houses. Fortunately enough, I have a Coffee Bean within walking distance from my loft. Though only one employee ever remembers my name, I think I’m pretty close to becoming a regular, a title more commonly reserved for the neighborhood coffee aficionados and caffeinated stay at home moms. And I, my friend, am neither. One thing I can say, I am a people-watcher. Some may say eavesdropper, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but what better place to do so than a coffee shop? Nowhere. Unable to actually participate, or interject in conversations as people don’t typically enjoy that, I’d like to share a few frustrations with you.  Dear patrons of Coffee Bean, I am watching you.  

To the woman offering a shot of espresso to the actual barista making her drink – This is not a bar. It’s not like you buy a shot of tequila for the bartender to enjoy alongside you and your pals. Speaking of, does anybody actually do that? Other than in movies? I haven’t. Am I rude?

To the people obviously having an affair, trying to enjoy their coffee discretely – I know what you’re doing. For future reference, conversations about how your wife found out, the jealous girls at the gym who ratted you out, and how this is the first white girl you’ve dated, kiiiiiind of give you away, and should be off limits for the general public to over hear.

To my neighbor sitting behind me, clearly staring at my computer screen – Did your mother ever teach you it’s not polite to stare? Yes, I have been plugging my face into different celebrity hairstyles on instyle.com for nearly an hour, what’s it to you? I’m just trying to switch things up over here. Valuable lesson – Victoria Beckham’s oh so posh a-line cut only elongates an already long nose.

To the cracked out homeless man shouting “FBI! FBI!” and telling everybody on the streets to get down – I fear it’s too late for you, my friend. 

2 comments:

  1. I bought my bartender a shot once! He was so flattered he poured me a free one to take with him so it all worked out. Then he gave me a garter belt he was wearing. Which was odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's customary (especially for hipsters such as yourself) to buy bartenders you are familiar with a shot of tequila every now & then as a sign of good cheer & respect.

    The gesture coupled with the habit of tipping generously often ensures that a shot of tequila (or two, or three) comes your way from time to time from your affable bartender along with the words, "It's on the house, my friend!"

    Armed with this knowledge, it's now up to you to decide whether or not your bar hopping behavior is or has been "rude"; or simply deprived you of free shots of tequila from your favorite bartenders.

    So to you, dear hipster and somewhat frequent guest of popular watering holes & nightspots I say, "I'm watching YOU."

    Great blog entry Sam. Stay funky monkey. I look forward to your next entry and a spot of tea from your burgeoning gingham mug collection.

    ReplyDelete