12.30.2011

Dear Grandpa

So. My grandpa died the other day. Or, my grandpa croaked the other day, as I’m sure he’d prefer we’d say it. I mean, he’s been prepping everyone for this day for as long as I can remember. But that doesn’t make this any easier. It sucks and I hate it.

I hate that he’s not here anymore. That he can’t call me to remind me to switch my clocks forward in the spring, even though my phone already does it for me. I hate that he’s not here to correct my grammar. To improve my vocabulary. To tell me hey is for horses. I hate that I can’t bring him egg salad sandwiches on Easter, and sit on his couch and tell him about my latest adventure. I hate that I can never again sit across from him for lunch at Red Rock Cafe. And I hate that there are people in this world that will never know him. I think that’s the worst part. Yeah, that’s definitely the worst part.


I hate that he’ll never write me another letter - written in a black felt tip pen, on yellow legal paper, important facts highlighted with red stars and hearts. That I never told him how special those letters were to me. That I’ve kept every single one of them. I hate that I have a letter here, a letter that I wrote, that my grandpa never received.

The evening of the 26th was a rather restless one. Unable to sleep, I awoke before dawn with the urge to write my grandpa a letter. I’ve received weekly letters from my grandpa from the moment I left home six years ago, so in his declining health it seemed only fitting that I returned the gesture. I had written one previously, just a week before. But this time, when I set out to write, yellow legal pad in front of me, black felt tip pen in hand, all that came through me was grief. Not wanting to be overly sentimental (my grandpa was never big on that), I struggled with words. I shared with him my latest ventures, how festive my house was for the holidays, and how ready I was for a vacation from work. All the while trying to avoid the elephant in the room. But I never got to send it. It’s sitting here, on my nightstand, addressed and ready to go, but that’s as far as it’ll get. Later that morning, my grandpa passed. What initially started as cancer in his brain shortly took over his whole body, and then took his life just days after Christmas.

It only really feels real when I stop. When there’s nothing left to distract my mind. When something reminds me of him. The smell of tic tacs. A Brooks Brothers polo. A felt tip pen. It’s when I stop, that it hurts the most. My throat tightens. My eyes blur. And my jaw quivers. That’s when it’s the worst. Don’t get me wrong, my grandpa lived an incredible life. He traveled the world, raced fast cars, and had great loves. He leaves behind a great legacy, Napa is better because of him – there’s even a building with his name to prove it. The world is better because of him. An outstanding man, he sets the bar high. So high, I doubt anyone can fill his raggedy old topsider shoes. I just wish I had appreciated that more while he was here. That I would have smiled in the candid photos that were always his favorite to take. That I was more proud than embarrassed when he insisted on pulling in to the jock lot to pick me up from cheerleading practice. That I made more time for phone calls and lunches. So I guess if I could write another letter, that’s what I’d say. But I think he probably already knows, you know? Grandpa’s are smart like that. At least mine was. And he hates when I say you know. My bad.


Man, that was depressing. And long. Sorry about that one. I swear I’m usually not such a Debbie Downer. In fact, something cool happened today that was anything but depressing. Actually, it was the opposite of depressing. It was uplifting. I practiced yoga this morning guided by intention. Don’t ask, I saw a flyer for it and it sounded cool. And I’m an easy sell. The idea was to close this year in peace, and set your intention for the new. Um, hi perfect timing. We began the class with a piece of paper, a pen, and a prompt. I began to write. Part one was to ask. Ask for what you want. Part two was to act. And part three was to feel gratitude for whatever the outcome. We folded it up, set it under our mats and meditated on it throughout our practice, only to rip it up at the end, freeing ourselves of the past year.


You guys, my mom is probably dyinggg as she reads this right now. She’s tried to hammer this into my thick skull for forever. This is, like, her dream for me. It’s totally her mantra. I bet she’s read this at least seventeen times to make sure her eyes aren’t deceiving her. But it’s true, Mom. I did it.

I asked for peace. I know, I know. So general, but hear me out. I asked to be at peace with my grandpa’s passing. For patience and understanding because I know the process is tough. I asked for the strength to be okay. To be happy without him here. I think I could probably make that happen by giving myself a little grace. By being patient and trusting myself, and knowing that I can let my grandpa live through me. And for that, I’m grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment